The Massachusetts Renaissance Faire is a labor of love and creativity run by a small group of hard-working, dedicated volunteers. We’re looking for friendly, energetic and enthusiastic individuals to help us make the Market even more enjoyable for our guests. If you like meeting new people, making friends, and having fun – we’ve got just what you’ve been looking for!
- Setup Crew: If you’re good with a hammer, saw, measuring tape and simple outdoor work we could use your help setting up indoor spaces, signs, games, etc., starting a day or so before the Market opens on Saturday, July 29th. This may require some heavy lifting.
At the Market
- Booths and Information: Volunteers greet guests of the Faire at the entrance, hand out flyers, help with surveys, and provide information to Faire guests. Volunteers in this position may also be asked to man our merch/swap table or the Information Booth. You must be a people person to help in this area. A costume is required for this position.
- Activity Areas: Volunteers are responsible for helping and/or running the activities areas. These include a Maypole-style dance, “Fight the Knight” pit, archery station and tournaments, a Hobby Horse joust, a boffer Capture the Flag game, Storytelling, a dungeon crawl, and possibly other areas as well. A costume is required for these positions. Positions at the archery station or the Fight the Knight pit also require experience with safe combat and or archery practices.
- Parking Crew: Direct guests to designated parking areas and assist security as needed. No costume is required for this position.
- Gophers: During the Faire you are on call to help with various errands on-and-off site. Vehicle required. No costume is required for this position.
- Security: Assist at the front gate and other control points to insure site security. Security assists the parking crew as needed. No costume is required for this position.
- Kitchen Staff: We need a few people willing to be line cooks and bus people throughout the day. No costume is required for this position.
- Scavenger’s Court: Members of the Scavenger’s Court wander the site throughout the day keeping the grounds tidy and free of trash. The King of the Scavenger’s Court also takes care of the Lost and Found. This position may require emptying trash barrels from time to time. This position requires a peasant-style costume.
After the Market Closes
- Breakdown Crew: Once the Market ends we have approximately 2 days to break it all down. We need help taking down decorations, cleaning up, storing signs, etc. Any help is appreciated. This may require some heavy lifting.
Volunteers must be at least 16 years old (unless your parent is also a volunteer) and are required to have a waiver/release form signed by a parent or guardian. You must be 18 years old to stay overnight. You are expected to remain neatly groomed at all times. Remember, you are the face of the faire while you are here and must act accordingly, so please refrain from swearing or other negative interactions. Alcohol or drugs are not tolerated prior to or during your time with us. Smoking while on the Market grounds is allowed only in designated smoking areas. We rely on your punctuality to help us run things smoothly, so tardiness in unacceptable when showing up to help. Any violation of these rules may result in expulsion from the Faire. You must provide your own Renaissance Faire approved costume for volunteer positions that may require them. If you are unable to do so, please contact the Market Coordinator (Volunteer@MarketoftheMoons.com) to discuss borrowing a costume from us.
- Free Admission to the Faire!
- Camping: All volunteers 18 years and older are eligible for free onsite camping (Email our Camping Manager for details) on weekends they are helping and the opportunity to stay for after hours events.
- Community Service Letter: If your school requires community involvement as part of its curriculum we’d be happy to provide you with an official letter of service outlining the hours you helped us.
- Food: Volunteers will have access to some complimentary food from the Faire snack bar over the course of their time volunteering.
- A 2017 Volunteer T-Shirt
- Party Time!- Volunteers will be invited to our cast and Volunteer party that will be held in August.
Ready to Help?
When you are ready to help, please fill out our online form (see button below) or email our Volunteer Coordinator at Volunteer@MassRenFaire.com with the following information:
- Name: First and Last name, please
- Age: We need to know your age.
- Email Address: The email address you’d like us to reach you at.
- Mailing Address: We need to know an address to reach you at should the need arise.
- Days You Can Help: Which dates are you available to help on.
- Time You Can Help: Are you only able to help out for four hours in the morning or afternoon? Can you help all day? Let us know here.
- Have You Volunteered Before and (if so) For How Long and in What Areas?: This is pretty self-explanatory.
- Areas You’d Like to Help With: Let us know the top 3-5 areas you’d like to help out with in order of your favorite first. We can’t guarantee you’ll get your top picks, but we always try to accommodate you.
Thanks in advance for your help. We look forward to hearing from you.
Please Note: We will let you know when we’ve received your email and ask any questions as needed. We greatly appreciate it if you should find you are unable to volunteer for any reason down the road that you let us know so we can plan accordingly.